My Recipe for Best Two-Person Overlander 2021/22
I order a new Troopcarrier V8 in December, and it finally arrived mid July.
Between June 2021 and March 2022 I built a version of what I regard as the best two-person light overlander in the world.
The epic scene in the show were I must take it out for the first time in support of the Range Rover.
YouTube Viewer Numbers
The 27 videos released June 2021 to March 2022 attracted 1,77 million views, averaging 66,7K views each video. These videos focussed on the build and from April to November 2022 most videos will focus on expeditions and trips when phase-2 will begin as we ‘Make Perfect What’s Perfect’. Click the YouTube logo to watch the YouTube playlist:
A step guide to how I build an overlander, with all the decisions revealed in this long running series July 2021 - April 2022.
A Very Big Claim
I wanted to build what I consider to be the perfect two-person long distance off-grid and off-road exploration vehicle. These were my goals:
- Heavy duty four-wheel drive chassis and drivetrain, with excellent off road performance.
- A range of no less than 1200 kms built into it.
- A camping set-up that was easy and fast. And by fast, I mean under 2 minutes for the tent up, table out, cooker warming or beer in hand.
- Sufficient load-carrying ability to enable isolated trips of up to 14 days without supplies.
- A measure of live-in, needed in the case of foul weather.
- Quick pack-away, and easily achieved inside 15 minutes.
- Why these are important to me is shared in the videos.
Components and suppliers
- Built in Western Australia.
- Pro Camp Solutions designed and built the interior fit-out.
- EGON supplied a DC-Hub, a single unit through which all 12V accessories and chargers are connected.
- Klarmann Automotive Solutions providing expertise for the DC and AC installation.
- EGON supplied a Water-Hub through which all water inlets and outlets are plumbed.
- Electric components supplied by Perth Pro.
- Falken tyres 265/75R16 MT.
- Tyre services by City Discount Tyres, Joondalup.
- Terrain Tamer supplied the springs and diesel filter upgrade and catch-can.
- Shock absorbers are Old Man Emu BP-51.
- ARB twin compressor and wheel arch flares.
- ROH supplied Vapor 16″ alloy wheel rims.
- RIM CLINIC painted the rims grey.
- Off-Road Animal supplied the bull bar, steering protector plate and front recovery points. Fitted by Pro Camp Solutions.
- Runva supplied the 12000 lb winch with synthetic rope.
- PVS Automotive supplied the head-light upgrade, LC200 steering wheel and 9″ entertainment head unit.
- Roof camper conversion by Alu-Innovations, South Africa, supplied by Mission 4WD Perth, and fitted by Pro Camp Solutions.
- 12V/240V Duetto Mk2 water heater.
- Battleship grey wrap by 3M and fitted by Signarama Joondalup.
- Gull-wings supplied by Explore Glazing, Holland.
- 270° Awning and En-Suite privacy curtain by QuickPitch.
- Wheel carrier bin and other pockets by Camp Cover, South Africa, supplied by
- Seats by Recaro. Model is EXPERT-M.
- Seat covers and carpet mats by Takla, South Africa.
- Water tank built by Graeber Customs.
- Spot-lights are Hella Roklume 380, supplied by Perth Pro.
- Light-bar is a Laser 18″ Elite, supplied by Perth Pro.
- Dashboard switch panel is from PVS Automotive.
- Interior lights by Lumeno, supplied by Pro Camp Solutions.
- Side steps are a home conversion from LC 79 OE steps, coated with Line-X coating.
More . .
- Sun visor and grill are both Toyota parts.
- Arm rests by One-Stone.
- I have two SnoMaster fridges. One is a 12L centre console fridge and a 66L Expedition dual-compartment in the back.
- The 40-series Landcruiser badges on the sides are from Ebay.
- DC-DC charger and 300W inverter and controller monitor by Victron.
- Batteries are 2x200A Amptron LifePO4.
- Solar charger 50A by Victron.
- Solar blankets by Redarc and KT Solar supplied by Perth Pro.
- Camp chairs are by Oz-Tent.
The First Run
March 2022 at last our new hero Troopy is ready to be tested off-road. But the initial drive was spent acting as a support vehicle for the 45-tear old Range Rover, also being taken for an off-road test in the dunes.
Phase-2. Perfecting what's perfect . . .
From November 2022 and the next phase:
- Brakes upgrade.
- Snorkel raised air intake.
- ECU chip for performance enhancement.
- Upgrade of the alternator.