High-Mileage Landcruiser build, Africa 2023 onward
In the Beginning . . .
We just bought a 4.2 1HZ Troopcarrier in South Africa.
It’s a high-mileage one, and we will be showing you the full restoration and preparation throughout 2023
The final result ready to take on Africa at its wildest.
step by step
Africa Build Goals
Africa has some unique challenges when it comes to overlanding. It will be a Land Cruiser 78 Troopy. These are my goals:
- A range of no less than 1200 kms built into it.
- A camping set-up that was easy and fast. And by fast, I mean under 2 minutes for the tent up, table out, cooker warming or beer in hand.
- Sufficient load-carrying ability to enable isolated trips of up to 22 days without supplies.
- Security measures.
- Quick pack-away, and easily achieved inside 15 minutes.
Invitation to the South African 4×4 Accessory Industry
This story will showcase the best of the South African 4X4 accessory industry. Australia continues to get the limelight around the world and its time South Africa had a chance to show off its products and services on the world’s most trusted overland channel.
Invitation to South Africa
As usual, I (Andrew) get to hand-pick the products and collaboration partners, and no money changes hands. Yours will be a product for media exposure proposal. You supply the product for showcase, I showcase it to the world.
Global events notwithstanding, the Landcruiser will then be based in South Africa for yearly expeditions showcasing this amazing and unique continent and peoples.
Build begins Feb 2023. Paul Marsh 4×4 will manage the build project out of Cape Town.
- Who will build and design the interior fit-out?
- Bull Bar?
- EGON DC-Hub, a single unit through which all 12V accessories and chargers are connected.
- EGON Water-Hub through which all water inlets and outlets are plumbed.
- Falken tyres 265/75R16 MT.
- Tyre services? Who in Western Cape would like to join the team?
- DC-DC chargers. There are more than one South African brands. I’ll try one of them.
- Terrain Tamer supplies the springs and shocks from their store in Cape Town.
- Terrain Tamer supplies the diesel filter upgrade, catch-can and diff breathers.
- Compressor. Might use a twin compressor from someone else (not ARB) to find a worthy competitor.
- Alloy wheel rims? Must be 16″
- Roof camper conversion by Alu-Innovations, South Africa. Best of the best.
- 12V Aqua Mk2 6L water heater or a diesel heater.
- Gull-wings supplied by some South African manufacturer.
- 270° Awning and En-Suite privacy curtain by QuickPitch. Made in Pretoria and the best I’ve ever used.
- Seat covers and carpet mats by Takla, South Africa. Best I’ve ever used.
- Water tank built by?
- Spot-lights are Hella Roklume 380. Will bring them as they are surplus in Australia.
- Interior lights by Lumeno, a South African company.
Invitation continued . . .
- Sun visor is a Toyota part. I will probably have to buy one in Aus and send it over.
- Arm rests by One-Stone.
- I probably have two SnoMaster fridges. One is a 12L centre console fridge and a 55L Expedition dual-compartment in the back.
- Monitor by Victron.
- Batteries are 2x100A/hr Amptron LifePO4. Im bringing these from Australia to save costs.
Idea was presented to South African partners, namely Paul Marsh, Joubert Snyman and Brent Hutchinson (Terrain Tamer) met with unanimous approval from everyone.
Project start is planned for February 2023.
Search for pre-owned Land Cruiser started.
An ideal candidate for the build is found and inspected . . .
And we’ve purchase it. It’s a high-mileage 1HZ Troopcarrier.
Things are happening pretty fast!