Ultimate Troopy 2-Person Overlander. 2021 Onward
In the Beginning . . .
I order a new Troopcarrier V8 in December, and it finally arrived mid July.
Between June 2021 and May 2022 I built a version of what I regard as the best two-person light overlander in the world.
The epic scene in the show were I must take it out for the first time in support of the Range Rover.
This build and the expeditions that followed span 52 YouTube videos released from June 2021 to November 2023 when the series concluded.
It attracted 3,4 million views, averaging 65,4K views each video. Instagram reels featuring this Troopy gained over a 6 million plays.
In addition, the 13 episodes when the Troopy supported the Range Rover on the Canning Stock Route in June 2022, attracted approx 700K views and VOD 2K downloads in just three months.
Click the YouTube logo to go to the playlist.
step by step
June 2021- Nov 2023
A Challenging Goal
I wanted to build what I consider to be the perfect two-person long distance off-grid and off-road exploration vehicle. These were my goals:
- Heavy duty four-wheel drive chassis and drivetrain, with excellent off road performance.
- A range of no less than 1200 kms built into it.
- A camping set-up that was easy and fast. And by fast, I mean under 2 minutes for the tent up, table out, cooker warming or beer in hand.
- Sufficient load-carrying ability to enable isolated trips of up to 14 days without supplies.
- A measure of live-in, needed in the case of foul weather.
- Quick pack-away, and easily achieved inside 15 minutes.
- Why these are important to me is shared in the videos.
- We’ve had amazing support from accessory makers here is Australia. The list below provides links to their products:
- Custom Overland Solutions designed and built the interior fit-out.
- EGON supplied a DC-Hub, a single unit through which all 12V accessories and chargers are connected.
- Klarmann Automotive Solutions providing expertise for the DC and AC installation.
- Wrap: Colour battlehship grey satin supplied by 3M and fitted by Signarama Joondalup.
- EGON supplied a Water-Hub through which all water inlets and outlets are plumbed.
- Most electric components supplied by Perth Pro.
- Falken tyres 265/75R16 MT.
- Tyre services by City Discount Tyres, Joondalup.
- Terrain Tamer supplied the parabolic rear springs and progressive front coils.
- Diesel filter upgrade and catch-can from Terrain Tamer.
- Shock absorbers are Old Man Emu BP-51.
- Rear axle width correction: Tru-Tracker by Multidrive Technology
- ARB twin compressor.
- Wheel arch flares by ARB.
- ROH supplied Vapor 16″ alloy wheel rims.
- RIM CLINIC painted the rims grey.
- Off-Road Animal supplied the bull bar, steering protector plate and front recovery points.
- Runva supplied the 12000 lb winch with synthetic rope.
- PVS Automotive supplied the head-light upgrade, LC200 steering wheel and 9″ entertainment head unit.
- 12V/240V Duetto Mk2 water heater.
- Battleship grey wrap by 3M and fitted by Signarama Joondalup.
- Gull-wings supplied by Explore Glazing, Holland.
- 270° Awning and En-Suite privacy curtain by QuickPitch.
- Seats by Recaro. Model is EXPERT-M.
- Seat covers and carpet mats by Takla, South Africa.
- Water tank built by John Graeber.
- Dashboard switch panel is from PVS Automotive.
- Interior lights by Lumeno, supplied by Custom Overland Solutions.
- Side steps are a home conversion from LC 79 OE steps, coated with Line-X coating.
- Rear door table supplied by Mission 4WD Perth.
- Sun visor and grille are both Toyota parts, and I did apply grey wrap to the lettering.
Kit And Links
- Mud flaps from cms4x4.com.au.
- Arm rests by One-Stone.
- I have two SnoMaster fridges. One is a 12L centre console fridge and a 66L Expedition dual-compartment in the back.
- The 40-series Landcruiser badges on the sides are OE Toyota and I found them on Ebay.
- 2x30A DC-DC chargers and 3000W inverter and Cerbo GX by Victron.
- Batteries are 2x compact 200A/hr Amptron LifePO4.
- Solar MTTP charger 50A by Victron.
- Solar blanket by Redarc.
- Camp chairs are by Oz-Tent.
The First Run
March 2022 at last our new hero Troopy is ready to be tested off-road. But the initial drive was spent acting as a support vehicle for the 45-tear old Range Rover, also being taken for an off-road test in the dunes.
Performance upgrades. From October 2022
Phase-2. Perfecting what’s perfect . . .
Terrain Tamer brake rotors, fortified brake pads, replacement brake booster.
Upgraded raised air intake.
Torqit stainless snorkel and air-box.
Engine performance enhancement.
Torqit Module-Map, Throttle Controller.
Heavy Duty Clutch
Any engine performance increase requires upgrading the clutch too, so I fitted a Terrain Tamer fortified clutch.
Upgrade of the alternator.
This one is proving to be more of a challenge. News to follow.
A rear flood lamp by Laser and some enhancement to general camp lighting. From Perth Pro.
In no particular order, these are my 5 favourite items fitted
- Gull-wings by Explore Glazing, Holland. Quality unmatched.
- EGON Water-Hub through which all water inlets and outlets are plumbed. Instant hot shower.
- PVS Automotive LC200 steering wheel. Just love it.
- Terrain Tamer brake rotors, fortified brake pads, replacement brake booster. This thing stops on a dime.
- Off-Road Animal bull bar. Would choose one again. It just looks so right and the quality is outstanding.
This Troopy has been sold.
LIST OF ACCESSORIES AND MODIFICATIONS
- Alu-Innovations roof tent camper conversion
- Interior by COS, all-ply with chill-out place
- Interior roof console with power/USB
- 3M Wrap, battleship grey. Paint colour midnight blue.
- Rear axle width correction by Kinetic Engineering (Tru-Tracker)
- 100L water tank
- Window tint
- Shore power charging
- Duetto Mk2 10L electric water heater
- 2 x 200Amp/hr Amptron LifePO4 batteries
- Victron Multiplus 3000W inverter wired for AC induction cooking
- Victron 30A DC-DC charger (x2) with engine activation relay
- Victron 50A solar charger
- Victron Cerbo-GX monitor
- Egon DC-Hub
- Egon relay-Hub
- Egon Water-Hub.
- Hot shower system
- Drinking water filter with UV
- Travel buddy 12V oven
- Lazer Sentinel driving lights
- Lazer rear working light
- Lazer 18” Elite-Plus light bar
- Hella day safety lights
- CellFi-Go cell signal amplifier
- GME XRS-390C UHF transceiver
- GME 6db antennae
- PVS Landcruiser-200 steering wheel with remote
- PVS 9-inch head unit
- PVS head lights
- PVS dashboard switch panel
- Scan Gauge
- 6-speaker FOCAL speaker system
- Focal amp
- Reversing camera
- Pioneer Sub-Woofer
- Toyota retro grille (gen Toyota)
- Toyota windscreen sun shade (gen Toyota)
- Toyota head light protectors
- Toyota driving door wind deflector
- Side steps built from gen Toyota VDJ79 steps Line-X coated
- Rear step Line-X coated
- QuickPitch weathershade 270° awning
- Quickpitch set of awning drops for enclosed space
- QuickPitch en-suite shower drop
- QuickPitch side table and MaxtTrax holder
- Wheel arch stone guards (ARB)
- Off-Road Animal bull bar
- Off-Road Animal recovery point front
- Off-Road Animal steering protector
- Runva 12000lb winch with plasma rope
- Hella upgraded horns
- Exterior kitchen box with light & AC
- Torqit module-map
- Torqit Upgraded air box
- Torqit Throttle controller
- Torqit air intake snorkel
- Terrain-Tamer 500-700kg parabolic springs
- Terrain-Tamer front progressive springs
- Terrain-Tamer fuel filter system upgrade
- Terrain-Tamer catch-can.
- Terrain-Tamer fortified clutch
- Terrain-Tamer twin-diaphragm brake booster
- Terrain-Tamer replacement brake rotors (4)
- OME BP-51 shocks
- Mud flaps upgrade
- ROH VAPOR alloy wheels painted grey 16”
- Falken MT 265/75 R16 (5)
- Rear recovery point (Toyota)
- Explore-glazing gull wings, 2 glass, 2 alloy.
- Explore glazing molle side table
- Rear doors fitted with molle panels L&R
- Full set interior and tent lights red/amber/white
- Grey water intake system
- Recaro Expert-M seats X2
- Takla CanTek custom seat covers
- Takla-Mat floor covers
- Full sound insulation
- ARB twin compressor
- ARB 4L air tank
- SnoMaster 65L dual-door fridge/freezer
- SnoMaster 12L fridge between seats
- One-Stone arm rests
- Centre console (self-made PVC)
- Door pockets with cup holders
- Powered over-head console
- Hella map reading lights front and back
- 40-series retro Landcruiser badging
- Sand flag
- Brand new starter battery
- Induction cooking stove top (mounted in back door).